Wednesday, February 13, 2008

"Red" roads

I got an email from my cousin relating a story about driving in icy conditions and her little boy saying a prayer to keep them safe. My "little boy" is almost 16 now but it reminded me of a time when he was little when we lived in NY. I wanted to share the story. I sure miss my children being little! Love to all!

When we lived in New York Erik was about 4. I'd never seen so much snow in my life. I always thought snow was beautiful until I moved there and learned very quickly how serious it can be. I remember that state of panic when driving in those conditions. Anyway, I don't know it it's a military term or not, but when the roads were icy, they would announce on the radio that the roads were "red." So, we were driving to the commissary one day and heard this announcement. I didn't think much of it. Like you, I just adjusted my speed accordingly and took my time. However, when we arrived and I went to lift Erik out of the car, his whole body tensed up and he clung to me and wouldn't let me put him down. Then he looked down and said "the radio man said the roads are red, but they aren't red!" I don't know what he thought that meant but we had to explain what it meant before he would let me put him down to walk. It's amazing how their little minds work!

4 comments:

Dad said...

Oh the stories :) and then you always have the ones that bring a tear to your eye and warmth to your heart... yep those are pretty special too. ;)

Jennifer said...

Aw, it's amazing how innocent we are when we're little. Poor little thing!

Mary said...

LOL..I would have been scared too!

Anonymous said...

I would be lying if I said which one of your sister's was in the car with me in St. Louis when the radio said what the wind chill factor was. She said "wind chill", I always thought they were saying "windshield factor" and wondered what it meant and why it mattered. I'm pretty sure it was Mary. lol

Patti's Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones