Monday, September 22, 2008

The old guy at the gym...

So several months ago I begged Lee to let me sign up for a gym membership. I promised that I would actually go this time (I'm a previous YMCA member). Anyway, I was real gung ho at first and went two days in a row after signing up. Then, for months, nothing. Well, I have recommitted myself to getting healthy and working out several times a week, and actually using the gym instead of just donating money to them every month. Being that today was Monday and the start of a new week, I decided today was the day to get back into the groove. (Not to mention I'm thinking about fitting into that black dress on our cruise next month). First, I had to make a stop at the front desk of the gym and ask them which locker was mine since I'd forgotten. Then once I had that important bit of information, I had to ask them if they could cut my lock off since I had also forgotten the combination to the the lock. Then I had to buy a new lock, and ask them to please store my locker combination in the computer, just in case I forgot it again. So, finally, once all of those details were out of the way and I was properly dressed for the occasion I wandered over to one of the treadclimbers (you know, since I have no idea how to use any of the other intimidating equipment.) To my left was an older man (maybe in his mid to late sixties, just going to town on his treadclimber. Since I really wasn't quite sure how to operate this very complicated piece of equipment and risk looking like I was not a seasoned gym goer, I pushed the big green button that read "QUICK START." After an agonizing 10 minutes on this thing I realized that the 1 hour that this thing said I was going to do, was not going to happen. I finally figured out how to reduce the time to 30 minutes. I would have quit before my 30 minutes was up had it not been for the old guy to my left. I thought surely if he could last the 30 minutes that I would too. Since we both finished up about the same time, we chatted for a minute or two and I asked him if next time he might only go for 20 minutes instead of 30. I told him how he was my motivation. He smiled and told me next time he was going to do 45 minutes. Oh well. I ignored the fact that as I was walking to the locker room to get my things and leave that he headed over to the freeweights to work out even more.... Never underestimate the old people.

4 comments:

Papa said...

Thank you for that Patti! I see photos of you and know that you always look fit and beautiful. You are the picture of health to me, and I am sure you will fit into your black dress.

I got used to running 5-8 miles 3 times a week in Afghanistan (at 6500 ft elevation). So on our Alaskan cruise this summer I decided to keep up the pace (easier at sea level). It was so windy on deck I had to resort to doing my running on the treadmill (UGH!) in the fitness center. I had on my headphones and was soon into my 'zone' and just running when out of the corner of my eye I caught view of a young lady on the treadmill next to mine trying to keep up. After the first mile I crank from my 'cruise' speed of 6.5up to my sprint speed of 10. I run that for a quarter of a mile then go back to the cruise speed. I usually keep this up for 5-6 miles. The poor young lady gave up after the second sprint. After that I decided to have a T-shirt made that says on the back, "Yes, I really am 60!" Then each year as I get older, have a strike through on the age and add the next year. Hope my knees hold out for another 20 years! Glad we 'old guys' can inspire the next generation. Love you! Uncle Jim

Dad said...

Awww if only I still had good knees and a good back I might be up to all that. But you know what I have seen some young guys in great shape drop dead of heart attacks too so I think I will just enjoy what God blesses me with and not push my luck. Some of us have a different luck cycle than others and trust me, mine is an off cycle ;)

Jeanette said...

Funny, funny. That made me smile. :)

I just started today (also a Monday) to re-commit myself to my workouts ... though mine are merely a DVD I stick into the player, but I would really like to lose the baby belly!

Jennifer said...

This is great sis! I'm a little late on reading this but, I hope you're still working out! I can never stay motivated!

Patti's Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones