Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sensory Garden

One of my patients is the head RN at the McLeod Hospice House. I was very curious about why she chose this area of nursing. Did she stay depressed being around people that are dying day in and day out? She told me that she loved it and I thought she was nuts until she told me why. She told me that it's the best time to witness to people. The ones that are dying and the family members that will be left behind need to be surrounded by loving, caring people like her. She described death as just another phase of life that could be peaceful and that's what they try to accomplish there. Then she told me about the sensory garden beside the hospice house that was made for the patients and families by donations from the community. Later in the week I met the above mentioned nurse's sister and she told me that her sister was chosen as nurse of the year. Doesn't surprise me. It warms my heart to know there are people like her that are passionate about what they do and bring comfort to others in their time of need. Last night after dinner I took Lee by the hospice house to explore the garden.




I love this lamp-post. I just learned that the pineapple means "welcome."


























Fish pond





Roman numerals 1-12. Not sure about what it means. Gospel of John maybe?




Recreation of the "beach" with water and sand. I told Lee to make one of these for me in the back yard. :)











I don't know if you can enlarge this poem and read it. It's beautiful.



There were tons of benches all dedicated to deceased family members.


0 comments:

Patti's Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones