Saturday, November 17, 2007

Things that make you say hmmm...

I love my family. They make me laugh, cry, and feel an entire range of emotions. I definately feel loved and I'm so grateful for them. I have so much to be thankful for on Thanksgiving and every other day of the year. Don't get me wrong, we are far from having the perfect life, perfect relationships, etc., but they are close enough to perfect for me. I love how my cousins record things that their children say so they'll never forget. I need to start doing that and wish I had been doing it all along. I'm getting old and I forget so much these days. The only things I seem to remember with great clarity are the things I'd rather forget. lol At any rate, here are a few things that they have said that I do remember.

Lee when he is not impressed with someone: "They are about as useless as a screen door on a submarine."

Erik on his feelings about his curfew: "I really don't understand why I should have a curfew anyway - none of my friends do. What's the big deal?"

Lauren, everytime I nag her as she's going out the door lately: "Mom, you really can't keep me locked up in the house forever, you gotta let go." (so hard to do)

Erik when he was 4 years old on one of our many beach trips. He comes running up to me with a bucket full of water, so excited and pleased with himself. "Mommy, I caught a wave for you!" (precious)

I remember someone posting on their blog that their husband felt funny about using the word "panties" - well, you can use Lee's word for them. Step-ins. Has anyone ever heard that before?

Now I really have to go do my laundry!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sis, I really love how you're recording things on your blog. It's so nice to learn more about you and how you think and feel. I'm really enjoying reading your posts so keep them up! Love ya bunches.

P.S. I may have to copy your idea :-)

Mary said...

LMAO...you crack me up! I LOVE the catching the wave comment...kids come up with the sweetest things. I remember before we went on a plane ride I wanted Grandma Harshaw to give me a glass jar so I could get some clouds for her...I was very upset when I discovered the windows wouldn't open...but then again she never did find a jar for me so I guess I couldn't have gotten one anyway..LOL

Dad said...

First, great music on the site. Second, totally agree with your sisters and what they said. ;)
Third, moments of time, moments of life, how can we ever capture in mere words what was captured in our hearts and souls? Yes, the good, bad, indifference, all some of what we wished we had forever always, that which we wished we never had at all for the hurt and pain that it caused, and yet the part of why? We cannot answer why life was what it was, how it can be, or as we hope, but we cannot tell what life will be for the next moment to come. We pray, we hope, we care and yes here you see four that are still one. :)

Papa said...

Hi Patti, Enjoy your posts a lot, and thought a comment was due. You have a beautiful, and special, and yes, a normal family. Eric and Lauren's comments remind me of a little poem I think I got from Reader's Digest a few years agao, "Love will fly if held too lightly, Love will die if held too tightly. Lightly, Tightly? How shall I know whether I am killing it or letting it go?" Knowing when and how much too loosen the reins is one of the hardest challenges a parent faces throughout the years and the differing stages of their childrens' lives. Keep capturing your beautiful family in photos and words. Thank you. Love, Uncle Jim

Anonymous said...

I can so relate to the wanting to forget the bad and hold close the good things life has brought me. I truly love sitting with my children and sharing funny stories. I remember being in the car one day and noticing a lot of birds sitting on the telephone lines and said so and wondered why. A little voice (Mary) from the backseat said, "call waiting." One of my favorites is Jennifer and the peas!! lol Patti was very little, (maybe 2) when I was crying about something and she squatted down and told me, mommy, don't cky, I love you. My children have kept me young and my heart warm with memories.....

Patti's Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones