Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Prayers answered...

On March 30th, 1992, Erik was born. He was the sweetest, most perfect baby.



Aside from some awful colic, you couldn't have asked for a more perfect, precious child. As long as he was fed and dry he was happy. He slept all through the night from the very beginning. As he got a little bigger he was always happy to just play with his toys for hours on end, especially his helicopters and fire trucks.





Fast forward to kindergarten and trouble started. First of all he had absolutely NO interest in learning the alphabet. I really had my doubts that they would allow him to start school at all once they have him the screening test. They did let him start and within a week he knew the alphabet (I loved his teacher)! Anyway, I usually got called every week for silly things that Erik would do. For instance, once, the teacher had the kids trade papers to grade them in class. Erik had one of those tiny staplers that I had strictly forbidden for him to take to school. Well, he took it to school and that particular day he proceeded to staple this other child's papers together all around the margins so he couldn't get them apart. Erik, of course, claimed it wasn't him. I never did get that stapler back after the teacher confiscated it. Another time that I got a phone call was one day when one of his teachers had another teacher stand in for her for a few minutes. Erik took that opportunity to get up and run around the classroom flapping his arms and making sounds like a chicken. Over the years there have been countless conferences about not turning in homework, talking in class, etc. etc. I tried everything imaginable to get him to do right but nothing really ever worked. I prayed, and prayed. Then prayed some more. Oh, and cried. That never really helped anything but I was just so frustrated. Here's this smart boy with so much going for him and I can't get him pointed in the right direction. Then he turned 12 and it turned into a full scale battle of the wills. Then suddenly this year everything is different. He's doing projects and homework left and right. He's talking about college and wanting to get a good score on his SAT's. Just today he said, and I quote, "I like school this year." Go figure. I about passed out when he said that. For the past four years I felt like I had an alien in my house but ever since he turned 16 it's like my sweet boy has returned. The Lord has answered my prayers. I love my sweet boy!

2 comments:

Dad said...

Awww, well you see darlin... God does answers prayers, but it is in His time not ours. He knows when it needs to be and that is when we know how blessed we are and that He is there for us. ;) I also think being the attentive and concerned mother you are helped tremendously! But you can stand back with admiration, and just like happended with Ms. Lauren, know YOU and THEY have done a fantastic job of bonding, sharing love, becoming two more wonderful people the world so sorely needs more of... :) Kudos to all of you!

Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness, that's so sweet! I'm go glad things are starting to work out. He really is a great kid!

Patti's Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones