Friday, February 27, 2009

Valentine's weekend in Southport, NC

I was talking to one of my patients that loves to travel and he told me that Lee and I should try out a bed & breakfast in Southport, NC called Lois Janes. So that day I looked it up online and decided to surprise Lee and book it for Valentine's weekend. I took that Friday off and we drove to NC. After having lunch in Wilmington with my cousin Johnny, we drove to Southport and checked in. We actually stayed in the cottage behind the B&B, so we had our own private "apartment", with a kitchen, private bath & balcony. It was a quaint little port town (think Charleston on a much smaller scale) and we enjoyed walking around in all of the little shops and ate at a fantastic restaurant called Mr. P's for Valentines Day. We took a ferry over to Carolina Beach and Lee was just too excited that he got to actually drive on the beach. Pretty cool! Funny thing about the breakfast part of the B&B is that when we went to breakfast at the main house the very patient that told me about the place was there with his wife and another couple. So most of us there that weekend were from Florence! It's a small world! If you're ever in Southport it's a fantastic place to stay, and the host Jeremy makes the best breakfast in the world!
















We stayed in the middle house (upstairs with the balcony). Below is the main house.











2 comments:

Papa said...

Looks like you had a great trip. It is beautiful there - but then I have always loved the Atlantic Coast beaches. Ours here in Oregon are probably more scenic with the cliffs and large rocks out in the water, but usually much colder. You will have to come out for a visit and find out.

By the way, you may enjoy reading a book by Homer Hickham (the man who wrote "Rocket Boys", the book that the movie "October Sky" was based on) called "The Keeper's Son". It is a fictional romantic story about the Killakeet Island Light House, and the German U-Boat attacks on merchant ships off of the NC coast during WWII. Hickham is a superb author, and I love his books.

amyop said...

I love the pictures! I know you are counting down till your vacation!

Patti's Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones